My Approach to Counselling
"My self confidence depends on the fact
that I have discovered my dimensions.
It does not become me
to make myself less than I am "
Co-creating with my Clients
By being creative about my work, I hope to encourage creative life skills in my clients, as well as an attitude of exploration and excitement toward the process of self discovery.
As an artist I have made art quilts. In making a quilt I selected fabrics according to their dimensions of colour, texture and shape. Then, by bringing them together I was able to express my intended message. In counselling we parallel that process. We bring together elements of our lives, shift their dimensions and integrate them into a whole which expresses who we most want to be.
When our relationship with Self and the World is eroded and we have trouble finding the resources we need to thrive, grow and love, a sense of isolation pervades our lives and we struggle to feel connected. By exploring the emotional, spiritual, physical and mental aspects of life altering experiences in our work together, it is my hope that my clients can move toward a greater sense of the richness of life. In this process I emphasise the importance of creating a practice of conscious living which suits each individual’s values and lifestyle choices.
Some questions we might explore:
How can I create more meaning in my life ?
How can I best express who I am at this time in my life ?
What are my present day responsibilities ?
I combine traditional counselling skills with somatically based therapy. In my work with clients I encourage creative activitiy. I often combine this with suggestions of relevant reading and other resources so that the client may increase their personal awareness and more effectively integrate new personal perceptions and perspectives.
Selected Work Experience
* Board member, VIDEA-Victoria International Development and Education Association, 2015 to present http://videa.ca
* Contract counsellor, Bridges for Women, 2014 to present www.bridgesforwomen.ca/
* Continuing Studies instructor, Guest Presenter: University of Victoria, 2008-2013 http://www.uvic.ca
* Volunteer health care worker, Lesotho, Rwanda, Kenya - Africa, 2007-2011
* Workshop presenter: Citizens Counselling Center, 2009/10 http://www.citizenscounselling.com/
* Consultation and workshop presentation: The Cridge Center for the Family, 2006-2010 http://cridge.org/
* Instructor, Counselling Skills for the Clinician, Canadian College of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, 2007
* Counselling services: Nuu-Chah-Nulth Tribal Health Services, 2005- present
* Disaster relief work, TOP: Trauma Outreach Project, New Orleans LA, 2005/06